Saturday, March 27, 2010

Our first 5K!

Today was my very first 5K. Actually I think I did one about 20 years ago in Ft. Myers but not sure if it was 5K and even if I finished. But this morning, my sister and my 75 yr old mother headed out early in 35 degree weather to Lee University to walk the Cystic Fibrosis (65 Roses) 5K.  I am happy to report that we completed the walk among many others and enjoyed every minute of it!

 Interesting fact: The name "65 Roses" came from a Mom who found out that all three of her little boys had CF, so she was calling on the telephone to start a fund-raiser for the CFF and afterwards one of her little boys said to her "Mom, I know what you've been calling about all day on the phone." She said "what" and he said "you want 65 Roses!"

Unfortunately there was a mix up in our registration and we were registered as walkers and not as runners and T-shirts are only given to runners (even if they walk-because we saw lots of walkers in the run). So... all we got to show for our 5K was this little rubber wrist band.  Boo!


On other news, my husband returned home from cambodia this morning and has been attached at the hip to Ella Rose ever since.


And last night my brother Mike and his wife Kim and Spencer came through on their way to Florida. Unfortunately I didnt get any pictures of their beautiful family but I did get this shot of Abby and Ella.  And, by the way, Abby ran her first 5K this morning!

4 comments:

  1. yay congratulations on the run!!!

    and of course dad is attached to ella and giving her more sweets. :) haha

    and that pic of abby and ella is too adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a good pic! Congrats on completing the 5K...I need some of your motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is really cool... and have to admit Im a little jealous. however, i may join you in the club of finishing a 5K this spring! Any tips for success???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Shirley on your 1st 5K!!!! I finally took Pastor Fred's inspiration to heart and did my first 5K last fall here in Warsaw, IN! I did it alone, but I meditated on God the whole time and came out of it empowered! I am walking again now that Spring is here in Indiana and am looking forward to walking more 5K's this year. I have now included some friends in the mix and we are training to walk them together! Keep up the good work! Someday you may get to carry an Olympic torch too!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete