Did anyone see the story about the CEO of the Tennessee Hospitality Association who lost his job today because he forwarded an email of "the first lady" being compared to a chimpanzee? It just shocked me in so many ways. First, this man forwarded an email he received at home to about a dozen friends including the mayor's office and the president of Nashville's Convention and Visitors Bureau. Talk about a lapse in judgment! He has apologized many times since and explained that his motive was "political" and in no way "racist." But really, he evidently is blind to his racism since he doesnt even realize that an email comparing her to a chimpanzee is nothing but racist. Sometimes here in the south we still hear people say racist or sexist things and it shocks me that they think it's somehow okay. In the past I even have had people forward emails to me that are borderline type emails. I am glad to say that I haven't received one in years now... (after replying to the senders to take me off their list.) I am sorry that this man lost his job but I hope it's a real wake-up call to people, especially in the south, to re-think what they do and say and that includes private emails. And, somehow we need to get it deep down in our heart that no person is better than the other.... God made us all!
That subject could open up a whole other can of worms... let me just add one thing..
Christians, please check and double-check all of the forwards that you send out because 99.99% of what is sent to me is untrue garbage. I check out every one that is sent to me and most of the time I "reply to all" that your email was not true. I actually had one of these today! Why are Christians so gullible?? Are we used to sitting in church and totally accepting everything that is preached to us without checking it out for ourselves so we think every email that is forwarded to us is also true? What has made us so gullible and therefore so ignorant in the world's eyes?
I have one more rant for today. Was any other woman terribly embarrassed by the first "woman" director to receive an Oscar last night? I was so thrilled to hear that a woman had finally accomplished that goal but then when she got the microphone I was so embarrassed that she was there. She behaved like a silly school-girl on the stage. At one point I thought she might pass out she was so spaced out! Come on, you just won an Oscar for being a powerful director, show some self-confidence and command the stage!! What a disaster that moment turned out to be! Poor Barbara Streisand, who gave her the Oscar, she had to have been so irritated.
I love your rantings! They're the best!
ReplyDeleteand yes i agree. (on all)