Monday, November 15, 2010

Were you bullied?

There has been a lot of attention lately on the news and in magazines and talk-shows such as Oprah and Ellen and even mentioned tonight on Dancing with the Stars about "Bullying."  I watched the interview with Marie Osmond about her son's suicide and she talked about how that when you are bullied as a young person/teenager, it feels like the end of the world. Usually an adult can deal with it but children don't know that this too will pass. It brought back memories that I guess I had suppressed for years. When I entered the 8th grade, I was EXTREMELY bullied at my school. There was one girl who led the pack and threatened to beat me up every day. She would corner me whenever she could and slam me up against the wall and scream in my face with her nose touching mine. She had a "groupie" of about six or seven or more girls that all stood behind her too, so it was very terrifying. I was a really shy backward type of girl at the time. I had moved to KY from FL (even though I had lived in KY before) and all I can guess is that these girls were jealous. I remember them talking about how I talked and my blonde hair and they thought that I  thought I was better than them or something. I guess if I didn't befriend them it was because I was shy. Plus, I dont usually pick friends that bully people.  Anyway, I don't know how I ever got so lucky to have such great parents because they went to the school numerous times I believe and to no avail, I was still being bullied. Then, finally I remember the principal saying that I was ahead of the class in the 8th grade because I had moved from another school system and he thought I would be able to go ahead into high school and skip the 8th grade.  I remember him saying that it was only a trial and I would have to make straight A's to prove I could handle 9th grade.  Needless to say, I made straight As.  I just can't thank my parents enough for caring enough and listening to me to help me get through this terrifying time in my life.  Thanks mom and dad, and whoever the principal was at the time!

I wanted to include a photo from my 8-9th grade,  but I'm missing my 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th grade school pictures. The picture below is of me and my cousin Connie.  I think this was 1972, the first year that Walt Disney World was open. I was 14 years old. (I'm the one with pigtails).

2 comments:

  1. How sad! I only remember being "bullied" a few times and it was stupid - actually I wouldnt call it bullying but they tried I guess. I was in 10th grade and this senior girl was dating a guy that I had "hung out with" before. She started stopping me in the hall and asking if I wanted to meet after school and fight...haha...I laughed every time and said "No. I don't have a clue why you want to fight me." People were making fun of her back because it made no sense. I finally called the guy and told him to set the record straight with her...never heard from her again.
    Then you remember that other time when we called the police on the girls that kept calling me and yelling things at me at school...again over a boy that used to date me...what in the world? I never even cared about those boys after we stopped dating...anyway, I luckily had tons of friends behind me in both cases and never really gave them much thought. I feel really lucky about that - if something else ever happened, I've suppressed it into oblivion. =)
    I watched that oprah too...sooo sad. I can't believe you were able to watch that! I was glad she did it though just for the awareness about depression...if your child or you have a history of it and something like their phone conversation were to happen...you get with your kid immediately and don't leave until they are stable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...I never knew ANY of these stories. Mom you were such a hottie in the 8-9th grade! They were probably bullying you because you 'developed so nicely' so early. :) haha
    I honestly don't ever remember being bullied. I mean, girls wouldn't invite me to things or roll their eyes at me sometimes...but I was never pushed into a wall or asked to fight outside. I'm very lucky I guess.

    Why can't people just be nice?

    ReplyDelete