Monday, June 15, 2009

We spent our last day in Intercourse (Pennsylvania that is)

Sunday was our last full day in Pennsylvania so we decided to visit the Amish Community of Intercourse, PA. It was only about a 30 minute drive from Hershey. It had to have been the most beautiful day of the year. The sun was bright, the wind was blowing a cool breeze and being in an area so non-commercialized, therefore having no smog or pollution in the air, it was a picture postcard dream! I don't know how many times I said how bad I wished I had a better camera to capture all the beautiful sites. We began the morning by taking a buggy ride through the community. There were beautiful covered bridges everywhere
Adorable Amish children coming home from church
(Thanks Teddie for speeding and running a red light so I could take this picture)One Room School House where they have all grades together in one room with one teacher. Gran said this was how her school was growing up.Of course we all know that the Amish do not agree with any modern technology but evidently roller blades are okay because we saw this more than once. 95% of the homes we saw were at least 100 years old. This area of the U.S. has to be one of the most beautiful places of all. They have done an incredible job of preserving their heritage. In Cleveland we have a very small part of town designated as a "Historical District". This whole entire town had to be a historical district!
We knew that the Amish didn't like their picture to be taken so I pretended that I was taking Teddie's picture when this buggy came by. . . however, it turned out to be a great picture of Teddie.
Did I mention that everyone has a huge farm. Our guide said that this farm has been in the same family for 300 years. There were cute little children in overalls playing in the yard. Sunday is the only day that Nathan and Whitney get off from working so we really enjoyed spending the day with them. We had a huge Amish feast at the "Plain & Fancy Farm House" and as Nathan put it, it was just like Thanksgiving!

And, of course there were lots of jokes all during the day about the name of the town. It never ended! We had our choice of other cities in the area too. . . like Virginville, Paradise, among a few others. There were funny Tshirts like this everywhere.

I really did love Intercourse PA though
. . . but not enough to wear this shirt!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for journaling our journey! I love reading about my own trip! Ha Ha! YOu did a great job summing up all that we did and it's too bad that you couldn't write about everything that happened because it was a trip to remember! I had a blast! We need to do a trip like this every year!

    ReplyDelete