Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Pennsylvania - Day One & Two

Saturday, Nov 14th, I got up early and drove to Atlanta to meet Fred who was coming in from Charlotte to fly to Pennsylvania to see Whitney and Nathan's shows. We got in just in time to check in, grab some dinner at a little Amish family restaurant and get to Nathan's 7:30 show.

The town was swarming with people. We couldnt believe it. It was like going into Gatlinburg on Friday night. We finally made it to the theatre just in time. It's a beautiful facility.



There were beautiful Christmas decorations everywhere.

This facility seats several thousand people and it was packed. They say it stays packed out for every show. It's just so hard to believe because it is set in the middle of Amish farms etc.. At the very beginning of the show they previewed the upcoming show, "Joseph." Nathan was the featured soloist to sing one of Joseph's songs. He was amazing!! I can't tell you how proud I was to see him singing in on that huge stage in front of that massive crowd! If Whitney hadn't been sitting next to me.... there would be a picture... but the theatre allows no photography so she wouldn't let me "sneak" any pictures. 
After the show we went back to their apartment and it was so nice. They have done a great job decorating.

The next morning we went to pick them up at their apartment and there were cute little Amish families walking home from church.

They have beautiful scenery all around their house.


and they are still the cutest little newlyweds ever



Then we ate lunch at this old fashioned corner drugstore in downtown Strasburg, just a mile past the theatre. It was so quaint and the food was delicious~

They sold fresh/homemade items in the back of the store.. in these containers are every kind of candy, nut combinations, granolas, coffee blends, hot cocoas, soup mixes, bread mixes, dip mixes, cake mixes, etc... everything fresh and home-grown by the Amish. I wanted to buy it all and bring it home!

We drove into Reading, PA, just a few miles away for the afternoon. Reading is the birthplace and homestead of Daniel Boone. We didnt get to visit there but we enjoyed seeing all the beautiful old architecture and colorful fall foilage. The houses along the streets reminded me of "sesame street.."


We ended the day by going to the IMAX and seeing "A Christmas Carol" in 3D.


Many of you are probably going to plan to see this during the Holidays. It features Jim Carrey in at least half of the roles (7 all-together) but it's really hard to find him. He is incredible in this movie. I must send out a caution though.  It was extremely dark, much more so than any other version of this story that I have seen.  I would definately not recommend any child see this movie. It was somewhat demonic to me.... (but I do not watch violence or horror or any type of disturbing movie so I realize I am more sensitive than the average person.)  However, I can say it was a great movie in the fact that it really reminds us that what we have in this life is not important but those we can help along the way is the true meaning of living... and this version kindof scares that idea into your mind! :)  ~~


So that was the end of day two... more to come...

1 comment:

  1. We had a great time and Shirley's "stupid camera" did a great job of capturing the experience after all (inside joke - ask Shirley).

    ReplyDelete