Wednesday, June 13, 2012

How does your Garden Grow

My Mother has always been a Master Gardener, but somehow I was never passed along this gift.  I've tried to plant tomatoes several times but they always died without producing anything.  So, this year, my husband decided to plant a garden with the grand babies. I blogged about this a few weeks ago (with photos.) He just made two small sections about 4x4 feet.  He planted squash, bell peppers, corn, tomatoes, and watermelon.  I really had my doubts about whether anything would grow or not. It's stuck beside our tool shed where it doesn't get all that much sun and who has ever grown a watermelon in their backyard anyway?

Well, evidently we are because this garden is so amazing!  I have eaten squash every night for the past two weeks.  Everything is growing like crazy! I am so amazed! And, I love it. So I questioned why in the world he didn't plant green bean so I pulled out a big pot, filled it with soil and threw down some green bean seeds and just 10 days later I already have a great start on green beans too!! I am so excited! Next year we will have at least twice this size of a Garden if all goes as planned!


Garden 2012-06-13 IMG_6773

Bell Peppers

Garden 2012-06-13 IMG_6772

My pot of green beans

Garden 2012-06-13 IMG_6762

One of the little watermelons that have begun to grow!

Garden 2012-06-11 IMG_6739

Corn is coming up like crazy!

Garden 2012-06-11 IMG_6743

And one of the delicious dinners I've made with the squash, chicken, and capers
Stir fried in Olive Oil. YUM!!

2012-05-31 cooked garden squash

1 comment:

  1. What a treat! We have never had any success with a garden....but, looks like Fred is an expert! Nothing like good, home-grown summer vegetables!

    ReplyDelete