A couple of weeks ago I bought a house built in 1924 in the historic district downtown.... at an auction. I knew when I walked into it a few days before the auction that it had me. It's so charming and perfect! It has 12 foot ceilings throughout, large rooms, beautiful hardwood floors, and is on a street where we can totally restore it and hopefully make a profit. We have remodeled a few houses in our day and also built two (which I designed from scratch) so this is something I really love to do. Today was the first day that work actually started on the house. I have spent the last two weeks getting quotes. I will take some before/after photos and keep you updated on the progress. Hopefully we can move on this one pretty fast BUT there is tons to do. We have to completely gut the full bath and start over, plus add another full bath, and gut the entire kitchen and put in everything new, including the flooring. Then we are adding a 2nd floor by opening up the attic space to hold a 3rd bedroom. The house is over 1700 sq ft with 2 bedrooms and 1.5 baths, but we are taking it to a 3 bedroom 2.5 bath to maximize our profit. Today my hard working husband went over and jerked out all the overgrown landscaping, leaving that big beautiful tree of course. After the house is pressure washed, scraped and painted, we'll put in new landscaping... I am encouraged that my hunch on this house is right because every contractor I've sent over for quotes says to me first thing, "Wow, you've got a beauty there!" More later.....
Monday, June 20, 2011
We're Flippin Crazy
A couple of weeks ago I bought a house built in 1924 in the historic district downtown.... at an auction. I knew when I walked into it a few days before the auction that it had me. It's so charming and perfect! It has 12 foot ceilings throughout, large rooms, beautiful hardwood floors, and is on a street where we can totally restore it and hopefully make a profit. We have remodeled a few houses in our day and also built two (which I designed from scratch) so this is something I really love to do. Today was the first day that work actually started on the house. I have spent the last two weeks getting quotes. I will take some before/after photos and keep you updated on the progress. Hopefully we can move on this one pretty fast BUT there is tons to do. We have to completely gut the full bath and start over, plus add another full bath, and gut the entire kitchen and put in everything new, including the flooring. Then we are adding a 2nd floor by opening up the attic space to hold a 3rd bedroom. The house is over 1700 sq ft with 2 bedrooms and 1.5 baths, but we are taking it to a 3 bedroom 2.5 bath to maximize our profit. Today my hard working husband went over and jerked out all the overgrown landscaping, leaving that big beautiful tree of course. After the house is pressure washed, scraped and painted, we'll put in new landscaping... I am encouraged that my hunch on this house is right because every contractor I've sent over for quotes says to me first thing, "Wow, you've got a beauty there!" More later.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
wow! HOW FUN!! I wish I could help. Nathan and I would LOVE restoring housing!
ReplyDeletecan't wait to watch the process!
You aren't crazy. :) I am sure you will be able to do lovely things with it. Good luck!
ReplyDelete